Thursday, June 29, 2006

There are no bad dogs.


But dog owners? Uh, yeah. The pups and I met a friend and her new dog at a dog park and had the pleasure of meeting two 7-month-old Boxers. Cute little dogs. The male was, um, intense though. As the owner of Intense Boris, I feel pretty confident in describing Charlie The Boxer this way. He fixated on my friend's dog right away, and there was a stressful few minutes while Charlie's owner tried to get a hold of him to get him back on leash. Okay, disaster averted.

Until less than ten minutes later when a new dog and his person came into the park and the Boxers start the same greeting - barking and dominating the new dog until the new pup starting baring his teeth and snapping. Where was the Boxers' owner? Oh, he was outside of the fenced-in dog area pushing his daughters on the swings. He finally came in and after a few minutes got the dogs back on their leashes.

I hoped at this point that he would either take the dogs out of the park. But oh no. Those of us in the area during this last altercation had all left, but I was still in my car getting the pups water and a treat when I heard a lot of barking, and guess what? Charlie and Lucy, the Boxers, were "greeting" the newest arrival at the dog park, and again the owner was trying to get his dog under control. Cheese and rice.

As I mentioned, I have an intense dog. Luckily, 99% of the time his intensity is focused on the trees in the hopes of one day getting his paws on that elusive squirrel. The few times he's been intense (read: aggressive) with other dogs, I get him out of there ASAP. No second chances. It's not worth the risk. And I certainly don't leave the dogs behind and leave the fenced-in area. Tool.

However, my dogs are now exhausted and happy. And my friend's dog is freaking adorable. So overall a good morning!

Comments:
Thanks for posting the pics, I forgot my camera so I'm glad you remembered yours! It was a fun time, we'll have to do it again when there are no nasty boxers (well, no nasty boxer owners, anyway)around.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?