Saturday, June 24, 2006

Welcome to Portland. Now get on your bike.

Says a sticker at our favorite local bike store, The Bike Gallery. Recently I decided, in an attempt to save on gas for the car as well as an attempt to get into better shape, to use my bike as a means of transportation instead of just for pleasure. The Bike Gallery was nice enough to help trick out my bike with a rack to hold panniers and I was good to go.

The first time I set out to use my new 'grocery bags' my list included, but was not limited to, the following:

5 lb bag sugar
bottle of wine
~40 oz jar (not plastic, of course) applesauce
3 bags pre-cut salad mix
and a few other odds and ends. Did I mention I live at the end of a looooong hill? Quite adventurous. I made it home, and rewarded myself with some of that wine later.

Cut to now, a few weeks later, and according to my calculations (though I was told there would be no math) I have put over 40 miles on my bike in six days! I've been on my bike almost every day this week, gotten a nice tan on my arms (my legs are still pasty white, unfortunately), and have been getting the best sleep of my life. Go me! :D

Comments:
That is awesome and inspiring! Go Candace!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?