Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Where my training wheels come off

So until a few years ago, the last time I had been on a bicycle was when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old - I remember riding around my neighborhood listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller on my walkman.

Then, we got a dog. A hyper, intense, spazz-dog (as mentioned in prior posts). Our trainer suggested bicycling with him and recommended items like WalkyDog bicycle attachments. It attaches to the dog's harness so the rider doesn't need to hang on to the leash. He tolerated it, but mainly he just likes to wander, pull, sniff and pee, so the walks are really more his style.

We took a brief hiatus from biking, but recently we started up again sans pooches - mainly just on the bike path near our house, which is often traversed by some hard-core cyclists complete with the gear, matching outfits, racing poses, etc.

Well, today I took my first "real" bike ride in the city, by myself even! I rode to my friend Kali's house, which was 5 miles and took 35 minutes. We then took a walk together for approximately 2.25 miles. Then I biked 5 miles home. yeeeeowza. It was a bit scary at parts, especially when I ended up having to cross Sandy Blvd on the way home and stupidly did so at an intersection without lights or a stop sign. And the hill on Burnside heading toward home is a killah! My legs and back hurt, but I did it. woooooo!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?