Thursday, November 16, 2006

The List.

I like to fancy myself a good organizer, but in reality, I just love a good list. There is something so pleasing about writing every "to do" out. Then prioritizing everything on the list. Then re-writing The List so that the most pressing items are at the top. Then color-coding The List, or figuring out which days will be spent doing which tasks. Perhaps making an excel spreadsheet for The List.

And let's not forget putting the most obvious tasks on The List - things I do every day that are as much habit as putting on my glasses. These things are imperative to The List, because at least this way I for sure get to cross something off. And crossing things off The List is 90% the fun of making The List. Of course, even for the items that don't get done on the day they should, I can put a fun little arrow on The List, indicating that I plan to get it done tomorrow.

This is why I can't get behind the electronic gadgets meant to help you get organized - I need a physical planner. I need to write it all down myself rather than typing it. I need to be able to flip to the back to look at the calendar. I need the weight of the pen in my hand so I can tap the (hopefully capped) end to my lips as I consider my next "to do." I need to grasp the corners of the pages in my fingers and have the ability to go back in time to check on the last time I [insert particular task here].

Ultimately, I am a good organizer. Good at organizing The List, anyway. Usually by the time I'm happy with The List, enough time has passed that I'm now too lazy to actually get anything done. :P

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?