Monday, January 29, 2007

Kiss me, Kate.

(Pre-emptive sidebar - you should know that I am really bad at directions. Like, pathetically bad. Especially when driving. Carry on.)

Today, the first day of my faboo new job, I had the pleasure of meeting Kate, an English bulldog. Kate and I will be spending 20-30 minutes together, twice a day for the whole week. Kate lives with her mom on the west side of Portland - luckily it was somewhat close to an area I lived in when I first moved here (8 1/2 years ago) so I wasn't as nervous as I normally would be. Until I made the mapquest-directed left and started noticing the numbers were too high. So, I flipped around, Blues Brothers style, and went through the intersection. Now the house numbers are too small. Well, balls. I turn around AGAIN, knowing for sure that every homeowner I passed was noting the fool who was lost. You know what? Screw 'em. :P Anyway, I end up where I was with the original left turn, and there it was. In my defense, the number on the mailbox was NOT very clear.

So I find the apartment, get the key from my handy-dandy organizational system for my new job (have I mentioned I'm a Virgo?), put it in the lock, and nothing. Won't turn. This goes on for a few moments, while Kate is inside barking, and I'm jiggling the doorknob, pulling it and trying the key, pushing it and trying the key. My carpal tunnel is just about to give out when I finally get it open. It's all cake from here, right?

Kate is a cutie patootie who took a few moments to check me out before deciding I was OK. For my afternoon visit we took a nice walk where she actually tried to gallop-run a few times. Hilarious. Apparently I was walking too slowly for the overweight bully. And, luckily for me, she did not kiss me.

I have to say, it's amazing to me to have a job where I immediately feel 100% comfortable with my skillset going in. I can't believe this is my job. Awesome.

Oh, when I got home, my dogs' noses were attached to my jeans for approximately 10 minutes. Thank goodness dogs aren't capable of guilt trips.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?